Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Well, Well, Well...What Brings You To Town???



Republicans Spar Over Economic Issues


credits: AOL NEWS, AP



DEARBORN, Mich. (Oct. 9) - Republican presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani quarreled over tax and spending cuts Tuesday, each claiming greater commitment than the other in a debate in the nation's struggling manufacturing heartland.
(republican candidates McCain, Romney, Thompson, Giuliani, pictured above)

Fred Thompson joins his Republican rivals Tuesday for the first time in a debate. Here he talks with John McCain, Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani before the event.

The government "is spending money of future generations and those yet to be born," added Fred Thompson, making his debut on a debate stage after a late entry into the race. He said future retirees should receive smaller Social Security benefits than they have been promised.

After months of polite debate sparring, Giuliani and Romney squared off without hesitation, a reflection of their struggle for primacy in the race for their party's presidential nomination.

"I cut taxes 23 times. I believe in tax cuts," said Giuliani, former mayor of New York and leader in national Republican polls.

Romney initially conceded that, but quickly criticized his rival for once filing a court challenge to a law that gave President Clinton the right to veto spending items line by line. "I'm in favor of the line-item veto," he said, adding he exercised it 844 times while governor of Massachusetts.

Romney also said that while mayor, Giuliani "fought to keep the commuter tax, which is a very substantial tax ... on consumers coming into New York."

The former governor leads his rivals in the polls in Iowa, where caucuses will be the first contest of the campaign, and he and Giuliani are in a close race in surveys in New Hampshire, the leadoff primary state.

Giuliani responded that spending fell in New York while he was mayor, and rose in Massachusetts while Romney was governor.

"The point is that you've got to control taxes. I did it, he didn't. ... I led, he lagged."

"It's baloney," retorted Romney. "I did not increase taxes in Massachusetts. I lowered taxes."

The exchange was among the most heated of the campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, reflecting a quickening pace as the 2008 caucuses and primaries draw close.
*****************
Realistically, the only positive thing about my voting on this election is that I'll be going with my 19-yr old daughter. I feel as if I'm voting for "he-that-is-not-as-evil-as-the-rest." I am not democratic or republican. I vote for whomever I want to. Having said that, I must admit I'm feeling Fred Thompson. Yep, I know i'm black. I've very aware of my blackness. However, my morals take precedent over my skin color anyday. I'm against abortion same-sex marriage and other issues, and I will vote for the candidate that expesses the same.
I'm going to keep my eye on Fred Thompson, and see what develops.
You better recognize, I march to the beat of my own drum...I will always go against the grain, unapologetically.
Ivent
**Save your comments that are contrary to my decision. I do not rely on the republican, or democratic party for job, health etc. I rely on Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please know...threats of hell and bible scriptures are futile-look at your church if you don't believe me! Get your 'body of christ' in order and then come talk to me.

Yours in Reason, Bria :)