Friday, November 30, 2007

Tony: The Makings of A Man

SmileyCentral.com

I've begged, pleaded, bartered, and threatened you to no avail.
Your ideology regarding school caused you to fail.
Being handsome and witty gets you so far in school.
I've conveyed to you bluntly, who wants an Adonis-looking fool?
It was what it was.
It is what it is.
Wasn't looking for Doogie Howser,
Simply Tony to handle your biz.

I reluctantly stood back.
I stood back and prayed.
When I thought of your future as a Black man,
My heart became weighed.

It was two weeks ago, when I entered your room,
You were laying on the bed, when you heard a big boom.
I literally fell to the ground, in shock and surprise.
You were reading your school book, before my eyes.
Excuse me! Who are you, and what have you done with my son?
You chuckled, blushed, and played along.
My mind quickly raced, convinced something is wrong.
You said, "Ma chill out. I got something I'm workin' on."

When you turned and looked at me, I looked past you.
Laying on your bed was something new,
There were your scribblings on paper, and you had a look of pride.
Thankful I allowed God to handle it, and let this thing ride.

Perplexed, I asked, "I don't get it, Tony, what's going on?"
You replied, "Ma, I'm getting older. I can't keep playing this same song."
Wise beyond your 16 years, I felt such relief.
I realized you finally "got it," as I stared in disbelief.

You've encouraged me in life, now that I think back.
Remember when you told me, I was on the right train, but on the wrong track?
I've never laughed so hard when you, MY kid, told me the truth.
And now you too are on the right track,learning early in youth.

See, Tony, I can't just want it; you have to want it for yourself.
You have one life to live, and you must excel.
I can lead you to water, but I can't make you drink.
I can ask you challenging questions, but I can't make you think.

You have to come into your own, and then you'll understand.
That evolving and maturity are the makings of a man.

I'm proud of you, Tony-keep up the good work!

-Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please know...threats of hell and bible scriptures are futile-look at your church if you don't believe me! Get your 'body of christ' in order and then come talk to me.

Yours in Reason, Bria :)