Saturday, February 09, 2008

We Went To The Museum Today...



I'm going to end this night on a post that's light.

Earlier today, my son Tone-who's 16, and I went to the Charles H. Wright Museum of Detroit. Was my son excited about going to the Museum? Of course not. He told me emphatically las night, he did not want to go-I told him he was. Well, I had to go the dr's this morning and he wanted to ride shotgun-no problem (hee hee). After the dr's we go to Starbuck's ( I LOVE STARBUCKS!) and I indulge him in a Venti double Chocolaty Chip Frappucino (unwitting bribe)and a lemon loaf (lemon pound cake), and I had my usual Venti Caramel Macchiatto w/soy and an old fashioned donut. Driving over the raggedy streets of Michigan Ave in Dearborn, MI proved to be a feat in and of itself, as that stretch of road is DESTROYED BY POTHOLES (big craters in the street).

Unwilling to let the possibility of tire damage prevent me from making this trip to the museum, I press on. My son-who trusts his mama so much- was content sipping on his Frappucino, unaware we're heading the opposite way of Hollywood Video. That is until we jump on I-94E...he looks around momentarily, but then decides to sit back and relax. I exit at John R St., turning right on John R St., turn left on Warren Ave, and then do a "Michigan Left" before my kid finally asks "where we going, ma?"-unable to hide my laughter I looked straight ahead and said "to the museum" as I pulled my car in front of the meter that sits directly in front of the museum.
You should have seen his face!
ROLFMBO -I'm still laughing at his facial expression! lol

Needless to say he was mad as H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS, but once we went inside and viewed the 1st exhibit, his anger began to dissipate.

That exhibit touched him as well myself.

The exhibit is entitled:

And Still We Rise.

It begins in prehistoric Africa, and ends in present day America.
It was so engaging as we saw life-size models of Africans who were squeezed onto the slave ships. There were moaning and crying, with written narrations of the diseases and smells that were prevalent on the ship.
We also saw a slave trader branding a slave on the ship, and you can hear the whimpering of the slave who was being branded!

There were mechanical Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman-who spoke, and we learned of a teenaged female slave who ran away by the name of Harriet Jacobs, who documented her experiences in a book. She wrote of her predatory slave master who made repeated sexual advances and she was able to thwart them, before deciding to leave. Jacob's Bio
This brave young woman RAN AWAY...and wrote a book about it!
You know I had to buy the book, right??
The book is called Incidents in the Life of A Slave Girl.


Also, in the exhibit is an up close model of a lynching. *sigh*
That messed me up.

There's so much to tell, but if you're ever in Detroit-you MUST stop and visit the Charles H. Wright Museum.

All-in-all, I'm glad I went, and so is Tone. :)


**scroll to the bottom and get Recognizd! Sign my "Slide Guestbook!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please know...threats of hell and bible scriptures are futile-look at your church if you don't believe me! Get your 'body of christ' in order and then come talk to me.

Yours in Reason, Bria :)